I absolutely love coloring my own hair funky colors, it's currently pink after being red and orange a few months ago! Out of the past 8 years, I've probably only had a natural hair color for 1 as i get bored often and I love changing up my makeup shades to match my current color, i love how i can get away with wearing a boring black outfit but still look colorful and i think bright hair is now just part of my personality! With having bright hair for so long, I've learnt a lot of tips and tricks that will hopefully help you execute a fool proof dye job and excellent aftercare!
STEP 1 - Do a strand test
This is a must! I know it's exciting and you don't want to wait for your awesome rainbow hair but please do! Especially if you're going to be lightening your hair with peroxide or changing from one color to another. The worst thing you can do is lighten your whole head to find it wont lighten to your desired shade and the color you want to put on next wont look great! so, •Choose a hidden section to work with •Apply 1 tablespoon of your chosen crazy color dye or bleach to your sample. Always apply the dye evenly to wet hair for optimum results. •Let the dye soak in for approx 15 minutes, if your hair is thick or coarse you may benefit from leaving it on for around 30 minutes.
❗️Remember, it can take up to 24 hours for any allergic reactions to surface❗️
STEP 2 - Do a sensitivity test
This also is a MUST DO. This is something i have learnt to do from experience, i'll never forget bleaching my little sisters hair without any kind of tests beforehand, straight in there with the bleach, my poor sister went into my bedroom looking like Pocahontas with long flowing locks and came out looking like one of the Hanson Brothers. Her hair was smoking, her hair fell out, snapped off and her neck was blistered and red. Lets just say she still doesn't forgive me but we laugh about it now! Again, do this for bleach or any kind of hair dye. Just because someone isn't sensitive or allergic to one brand of hair dye doesn't mean that they can use every brand without a reaction!
- •Firstly, clean a small area of skin for testing, some people often do it in the inside of the arm or behind the ears as these areas are relatively sensitive.
- •Squeeze a small drop of dye onto the cleaned area and leave it on the skin for as long as possible - we recommend 48 hours!
- •If no reaction occurs you are good to go and can crazy color until your heart is content! .
Making crazy color last longer
- •Rinse hair with cold water, post shampooing. It closes the hair cuticles and seals in maximum color.
- •Shampoo as little as possible. Semi-permanents will lose color after each wash so avoid over-washing hair. Bed head and grungy always gets a thumbs up from us.
- Avoid anti dandruff shampoo as this is widely used to strip or fade crazy color.
- •No sunbathing. Too much direct sunlight will strip all that edgy Crazy Color® right out. .
- Avoid swimming. Chlorine is another nasty product that will strip the life and color from your lovely hair so AVOID.
- Put some of your crazy color into your conditioner, that way you can top up your color whenever you wash your hair.